Saturday, July 11, 2009

Strokes- strokes everywhere

Surgeons are on vacation, and for some reason we seem to be having a sale on large Occipital and Cerebellar strokes this week. We sent two to hospice on Friday, and a third extended her stroke just before she was transferred to acute rehab at the end of the week. Luckily she seems to be coming back around in the last 24 hours. For the last couple of days she was really only arousable to painful stimuli, so I was pleasantly surprised when I took over and she woke up and started talking! A lot of word salad, the year is dirty sanchez, with some definite visual cuts and a right sided neglect- but much better than the near vegetative state that she had been in. There had been talk of sending her out to hospice too, and I am too used to the action of fixin' through surgery and the cath lab to have a hospice trifecta in 2 days.

Where oh where have our cardiac surgeons gone! I have not seen so many gerontologists and neurologists in the last year as I have in the last week. Strokes frustrate the hell out of me, give me a good MI any day- I know what to do with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment